Change of major/minor

Before initiating a change of major, concentration or minor, students should carefully review the online requirements and prerequisites table and contact the office administering the program of study. Credits previously earned at Virginia Commonwealth University or another university may not be applicable to the new academic program.

To request a program change, students should submit the Change of Major/Concentration Form or the Change of Minor Form. The change becomes official after Records and Registration has received authorization from the appropriate school dean, department chair or program head.

Changes made through the add/drop period will apply toward the current semester. Changes made after the add/drop period are effective for the following fall or spring semester, and changes made during the summer sessions are effective for the following fall semester.

School of Business

To change to a School of Business undergraduate program, students must attend a change of major information session.

Health sciences programs

Students who wish to change to an undergraduate health sciences program must go through the admission process. Programs include:

  • Clinical laboratory sciences
  • Clinical radiation sciences
  • Dental hygiene
  • Nursing

Nondegree-seeking students

Nondegree-seeking students intending to enter a degree-seeking status must go through the admission process. Read more about nondegree-seeking admissions.

Graduate and professional students

Graduate and professional students who want to change to a different degree should submit an application and all required materials to the new program.

Extended teacher preparation program

Students interested in the extended teacher preparation program should contact the School of Education’s Student Services Center. Advising tracks include:

  • Biology education
  • Chemistry education
  • Elementary education
  • English education
  • History/social studies education
  • Interdisciplinary science education
  • Mathematics education
  • Physics education

Pre-professional programs

Students interested in a pre-professional program may select one of these advising tracks in addition to their current major. Contact University Academic Advising to schedule an appointment with an advisor. 

  • Pre-dentistry
  • Pre-law
  • Pre-medicine
  • Pre-optometry
  • Pre-physical therapy
  • Pre-veterinary medicine
  • Pre-occupational therapy
  • Pre-radiation science


Students who need assistance in selecting a major or concentration should contact University Academic Advising to schedule an appointment with an advisor.