Virginia Commonwealth University offers nondegree admission for visiting students or those interested in receiving licensure.
Permission to attend VCU as a nondegree-seeking student does not guarantee admission as a degree-seeking student at the undergraduate or graduate level, nor does it guarantee admission into a certificate program or teacher licensure program.
Nondegree-seeking students who take graduate-level courses can transfer six of those credits into a graduate degree program once they have applied and are admitted to the graduate program.
Nondegree-seeking student classifications
- Nondegree holder: A student who has not previously earned a baccalaureate degree and is limited to taking a maximum of 11 credits per semester.
- Degree holder: A student who has earned a baccalaureate degree at VCU or another accredited institution and is limited to taking 19 credits per semester.
- Transient student: A student who is presently seeking a baccalaureate degree at another institution of higher education and wishes to enroll in courses at VCU for no more than two semesters with the intent of transferring coursework to the home institution for degree completion. The student must present a letter from the home institution approving the student’s status as a transient student at VCU.
- Students who are under academic suspension from VCU or any other institution are not eligible to enter as a nondegree-seeking student.
- Traditional freshman applicants who were denied admission to VCU cannot be admitted as a nondegree-seeking student.
- Nondegree-seeking students must have a high school diploma or GED. Students currently in high school may apply to be an advanced scholar through the VCU Office of Admissions.
VCU is now accepting online applications from nondegree-seeking students for the Summer 2020 semester.
We encourage nondegree-seeking students to apply online; however, they may apply in person at Records and Registration on the first floor of Harris Hall. Questions about this process can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You should bring two forms of valid, government-issued identification.
Register for classes
Once the nondegree application has been processed, students will receive an email with instructions on registering for classes and where to seek academic advising.
Nondegree-seeking students are eligible to register for classes through eServices during open registration. Visit VCU’s academic calendar for registration dates. Prior to registration, you can view the course schedule for the upcoming semester and a list of course descriptions.
Change to degree-seeking status
Nondegree-seeking students must complete an application for admission as a degree-seeking student to be admitted into a degree program.
Costs and financial aid
Nondegree-seeking students are ineligible for financial aid. Learn more about VCU’s tuition, fees and available financial literacy resources:
As a VCU student, you have access to world-class research tools and instructors at one of the nation’s premier public research universities. VCU is home to undergraduate, graduate and professional programs that are empowering our community and helping students meet their goals. Learn more: